Saturday, March 7, 2015

my new altras

i want to elaborate on my last post so that's what i'm about to do.

 as i mentioned last time... on friday, february 27th i switched to altras from new balance.  if you know me you know i've been running in new balance 1400's since i began running in earnest.  i've tried a couple of different shoes over the couple of years that i've been running but none that i found that suited my needs or that i liked very much.  i have been in love with the new balance 1400's since my very first run in them.  they are light as a feather and fit like a glove.  unfortunately, they are also part of the reason i've had so many ankle issues, blisters, lost toenails, and developed a lovely little bunion on my left foot last year.

altra one2
so after running consistently with a group of friends who all run in altras i decided to give them a shot.  i bought a pair for trails and a pair for roads.  when i got them in the mail on the 27th i was so excited i took the one2 for a quick couple of miles before the sun went down.  they were pretty great. the zero drop changed my gait enough that i didn't kick myself AT ALL on the run.  i usually have an issue with kicking the inside of my calves when i run.  since switching over to these shoes i have not done that at all.  the next thing i noticed is that my toes had so much room!  SO MUCH ROOM!

altra superior 1.5
the next day (saturday) i ran a long trail run in the superior 1.5s.  what i noticed when i finished the trail run is that my toes were tired and sort of sore.  like they were working a lot harder than they ever did before.  that soreness faded pretty quickly with some stretching.   when i woke up sunday morning i noticed that my soleus muscles were quite sore.  the zero drop changes the way a person runs.  i went from running in a 10mm drop road shoe and a 6mm drop trail shoe to a zero drop all around. that's a pretty significant difference and my body noticed.  i ran a road/trail niner on sunday to shake things out and keep with my training plan.  not gonna lie... this was a serious challenge.  most of the run went fine but then i hit the biggest wall ever at about 6ish miles and ended up doing a run/walk reminiscent of the galloway method.  the difference is that i wasn't TRYING to use this method... my body was FORCING me to.  sometimes that's just the way it goes.

that sunday's run was the absolute SLOWEST i've ever run that route.  EVER!  it was tough.  i'm not sure if it was so challenging due to the shoes or if it is because i am just getting back into my training.  likely a little bit of both.

by monday morning i was having trouble walking normally.  my soleus muscles in both legs were so sore and tight!  the change in my stride was more noticeable than ever!  i was so happy to have monday as a rest day!  tuesday was on the treadmill, and while sore... it felt good to run.  by wednesday's run the soreness was almost completely gone.

that's when my right calf got all weird and decided to get all crampy-like.  when i got home from lapham on wednesday night and rolled my calf it was so painful.  i could feel that there were two very distinct knots.  after i took a shower i massaged the areas as best i could (hurt like hell!) and then i relaxed.  when i got up to go to bed i was limping.

thankfully i was seeing my PT on thursday.  he dry needled the bunched up muscles and released the knots.  that too hurt like hell, but worked like magic at the same time.

today there is no pain in my soleus muscles, my calf is sore but not at all painful, and i managed a pretty successful 14 mile trail run.  i am super happy with my new shoes and expect to be running in altras for years to come.  my feet are getting stronger each run and the bunion only bothers me when i run long in loose snow which produces really uneven/unstable conditions.

i've got another 8 on deck for tomorrow so we'll see how it goes.  hopefully not a repeat of last sunday.

training for iceage is pretty exhausting but fun and necessary to meet the goals i've set for myself.


2 comments:

Josh said...

Do you ever foam roll?

nikki said...

of course i do!