Monday, December 12, 2016

don't go jumping the gun now...

is it weird that i'm already freaking out about iceage?  i mean... it's in MAY.

it is approximately 151 days, 9 hours, and some change away.  i've got PLENTY of time to get it together, be fully trained, and ready to go.  right?  yeah... i have lofty goals for this race.  i am really nervous about the winter training season.  winter running is when my body always gets injured somehow, or at least it seems that way.

last saturday,  i ran my long run on the IAT from nordic to horseriders (strava data here).  this is the first portion of the IA 50K race and my favorite part.  the rest of the race is on ski loops that roll and roll and roll... boring, painful, and not fun at all.  so i live to run the first part and i tolerate the last part.  this time i ran it the fastest i've ever ran it except for the race in 2015.  i was about 14 minutes slower overall (actual moving time was much faster than the race), but i felt great the whole time which is the bonus in this story.  my downfall for the race in 2015 was that i went out too fast.  so my plan going into 2017 is to try and temper my pace going out so that i can maintain it on the loops for the duration.  yup, that's my plan and i'm sticking to it.

however in the interim i'm going to focus on short weekly speed runs and long weekend runs for time on my feet.  my main issues with 2015 was that in the loops my hip flexors were freaking out and one of my toes was killing me from bombing the downhills.  i'm going to try and figure out how to avoid the hip thing for 2017.  i am of the impression that it's fully because i killed it on the IAT and didn't leave anything for the loops.

it's been working well so far (since september) and i'm doing some cross-training too which i wasn't really doing before.

this race and my subsequent utah race (in june) are on my mind constantly.  it's usually what i think about while running and i think about them a lot when not running.  if anything i should be mentally prepared for them if not physically.

No comments: