Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Hibiscus Festival 5K

Hibiscus Festival 5K - April 13, 2013
time = 23:29
pace = 7:04
1st in my age group (40-49)
placed 5th over all
1st among the women

This was my first race of 2013 and I did it in Vero Beach, Florida while on vacation. It was 74 degrees with about 90% humidity. It was raining on the way to the race but stopped just before we arrived. The race was a one way point to point from the airport to downtown and there weren't too many people there. It was dark out when we arrived and my 11 year old son decided to do it with me even tho' he really hadn't been running regularly. He placed 21st out of everyone. I'm so proud of him. He did great! I didn't bring my headphones because the race frowned on them and once I got there and saw other people had them I was kicking myself but in hindsight I think that NOT having them really helped with my time. This is the fastest I've ever run in my entire life! I am so proud and pleased with my time I don't even know how I ran that fast. I paced myself with the woman in front of me the entire time. The woman I ended up beating at the end because I sprinted. It has given me so much confidence that I feel really great going into this next race where historically I don't do well. Lapham Peak Park. I never do well in the park... Trail running is not my thing... This Vero run was so fun and I'm so glad I did it! If we're down there next year for it I will definitely sign up again!

No comments: