Tuesday, January 7, 2014

summer racing and winter weather

did you know that there is a such thing as a polar vortex?



polar vortex [′pō·lər ′vȯr‚teks] (meteorology) t he large-scale cyclonic circulation in the middle and upper troposphere centered generally in the polar regions; specifically, the vortex has two centers in the mean, one near Baffin Island and another over northeastern Siberia; the associated cyclonic wind system comprises the westerlies of middle latitudes. Also known as Antarctic vortex; circumpolar whirl; polar cyclone; polar low.


weird right?  well... apparently wisconsin is under a polar vortex right now. 
today and yesterday it was a high of -15 degrees fahrenheit. awful really... can't even go outside for more than a few minutes.  frostbite can happen at 5 or more minutes. 
my poor dog went outside last night to go to the bathroom and when i called him back he was walking so slowly that i rushed out to get him and carry him up the stairs!  then i ran his paws under warm water.  not good.

the good news is that by friday it will be back to around a balmy 23 or so degrees!  that means that on saturday i will be running outside instead of inside and that is a great thing!  that is a glorious thing!  that is a magnificent thing!  almost better than candy i think... almost.

in other news my 2014 race calendar is nearly complete.  i'm just waiting on the milwaukee lakefront marathon to open registration on the 20th and that's the last one on my schedule.  that's not to say i won't throw a 5K in here and there if i feel like it but for all intents and purposes this schedule is complete and i'm quite happy with it.


so dear readers... do you plan your race schedule out that far in advance?  do you have 2014 ready to go?  what is the race you're most excited about for 2014 and why?  what do you think about this "polar vortex"?

8 comments:

mkerungirl said...

I also like to plan my schedule in advance - allows for better training! I'm most excited for two races - a spring 10k and a fall marathon. The goal races require the most work which also makes them the most fun because you get to see all your hard work pay off!

nikki said...

I agree that planning is key to a successful year. have you picked out the races you're doing? the 10K and fall marathon? I've never run the 10K distance at race pace so I'm interested to see how it pans out.

nwgdc said...

I think I get more excited about planning than actually training and running...hence, three posts about my schedule. Still, in my life, those weekend mornings of events are kind of selfish, "me time" moments, and I cherish them. I rarely run a 10k or 5k event but hope to do a bit more of that this year. In the meantime...keep working in this cold--it'll pay off! AT least, that's what I'm telling myself :)

nikki said...

I totally agree with you about the cold running... especially on trails in the awful snowsand! I keep hearing that I will be stronger by spring so I'm banking on that!

Josh said...

Hey! I found the link here reading back on Keep Running MKE. I don't know why you don't have your blog linked to your comments. Anyway, don't forget to add a 1-mile race to the mix!

nikki said...

that's weird! I totally thought my blog was linked to my profile. huh... odd. I dunno about the 1 milers... if you have any suggestions then i'll look into it for sure! :)

Laura @ Backstage Balance said...

Your dog is adorable!
Regarding planning my race schedule, I think you almost have to plan that far in advance with the rising popularity of our sport (even with ultras). In old times you could walk up the morning of a race and register, but now that's not possible with most marathons / ultras.
I have registered for the Marquette Trail 50k in August, and am starting to think about September / October / November races… crazy!

nikki said...

thank you (about the dog)... he's the best. I like to register as far in advance as I can for cheaper prices as well as to hold myself accountable to my training. if I'm not training for anything then it's really easy for me to just not go for a run whatever day I feel like not running.