Sunday, April 26, 2015

Beartrax Brownie Shuffle (4.2K)

Beartrax Brownie Shuffle (4.2K) - April 26th, 2015
time = 21:01
pace = 7:52 average
placed 1st in my age group (40-49) out of 30
placed 4th in women out of 86
placed 12th overall out of 121





photo by jeff crosby pre-race
47 seconds faster this year than last so that's something.  i love lapham peak and i love the people who put on this race.  the energy is always the best part.  this race is in memory of nancy sellars who was killed by a drunk driver in 2008 while out riding her bike.  the proceeds from this race go to help support the nancy sellars memorial foundation which in turn does awesome work to enhance public trails and waterways in southeastern wisconsin, promote bicycle safety and cyclists rights, as well as to educate the public on the dangers and impact that drunk driving has on our community.  it is a very worthy cause and one i wholeheartedly support with open arms and the smile i'm sporting in this picture.  with that being said... i am not a fan of the short and fast race yet here i am again.  last year i figured out that i'm a distance runner through and through.  i greatly enjoy running and getting to do it for a significant amount of time.  what i do not like is how i feel when i'm trying to run as fast as i can for a short period of time.  i hate the way it feels.   i even tried to warm up with a short run before the race and that didn't help as much as i thought it might.  i'm just not much of a sprinter at this point.  i mean... i could be if i worked on my speed but my goals are longer distance as opposed to short and fast.  those short races are no joke.  ugh...

did my best.  started out too fast per usual.  had about 5 guys and 1 girl in front of me who pulled away pretty consistently as the race progressed.
the start ~ photo by annie weiss
there was a little snafu at about a mile in where the course branched off of the 20K and the volunteer at that marker wasn't clear so i all but stopped to ask which way.  that sucked.  right then is where 2 people passed me.  one turned out to be a 5mo pregnant woman and the other was a heavy set man.  both of which i feel like i should have maintained pace with or been faster than... i'm disappointed in my performance from that point on.  before that almost stop i was hauling ass like nobody's business and i felt pretty good.  my ankle (oddly) doesn't hurt while running but is really really awful when i finish.  limping and everything.  *sigh*


why do i think i should have been able to stay ahead of those other two runners?  well, mainly because they had physical obstacles that i do not have and therefore i expect more from my body.  i feel like my body should be able to perform stronger and faster than someone who is in the midst of growing another human as well as someone who is carrying 2-3 times my weight.  it seems logical.  not that i would be a better runner exactly... just that my genetic makeup should make it easier for me to run harder and faster given that i am lighter and smaller. guess it doesn't work that way tho' and that is disappointing.  i need to work on my speed if i'm going to do anymore shorties.

the start ~ photo by kristine hinrichs


the start ~ photo by kristine hinrichs


this course is pretty nice.  just a few hills and mostly rolling trail.  the last (maybe less than) half is pavement AND downhill!  i kept coaching myself to make it to the downhill so i could just catch my breath there.  i thought i could catch up to the guy in front of me there but i simply couldn't make it happen.  he was just too fast.  i think he was maybe 15 feet ahead of me and while i was closing in i just couldn't catch him before the finish.  he finished 3 seconds ahead of me.  the amazing pregnant woman finished a whole minute ahead of me!  so fantastic!  all in all i'm happy with my time.  i was shooting for 20min but i'll take the 21min for now.  maybe i can get it down for next year. lol!




the finish... the guy who i simply couldn't catch
~ photo by kristine hinrichs

my typical "pained" finisher look ~ photo by kristine hinrichs




finished!  ~ photo by annie weiss
team instep! ~ photo by jeff crosby

5 comments:

nwgdc said...

Man, I agree with you. Those short races HURT. But, they're so beneficial in long runs. Without those types of workouts/runs, suddenly your easy "run all day" pace is slower too. So, keep it up! Embrace the pain :)
Sigh...time for me to get some speed work in now.
Great run!

nikki said...

you're right, of course, but it doesn't cause me to ENJOY the distance more with that in mind. lol! my competitive nature forces me to go all out for the duration of any 5K or 10K... they're so short. i pay for it the entire time tho'... there's no warm up. i don't know how to pace myself for those shorties... i just run as fast as i can the whole time.

Josh said...

Don't feel too bad about the pregnant lady... I've seen her name around in the world of competitive stair climbing. She's one of the better female climbers in the country, so I'm sure she's pretty highly-conditioned, pregnant or not. Also, I think it's funny calling this a sprint when there are one-mile races out there! Personally, I wish there were *actual* sprint races out there, like the 400m or the 800m. Now THAT would be fun!

nikki said...

that woman is also 11 years younger than me so i'm going to chalk part of her fitness up to that too. lol! this was basically a sprint. anything that doesn't have time for a warm up is a sprint in my book. lol! you need to join a track team for adults if you want to run those super short distances. ;)

Josh said...

Wait... do they have adult track?!? Do you know something I don't??? Because I've looked, I promise!