Saturday, May 30, 2015

14 days

my next race is in 14 days.  while i feel prepared to run it i don't feel like i can attain my goal of a PR... even if it is only 3 min difference from my previous PR.  i've been running so sporadically since mid-march.  i did not meet my goal mileage in april due to a nagging ankle thing and barely ran at all the couple of weeks prior to ice age.  after ice age i tried to get back into the swing of things, but really haven't managed to do so.

i'm at about 80something miles for the month of may.  funny that 30 of them were from ice age.  i'm probably going to finish this month out with about 90 if i get 10 in tomorrow... i wanted 10 today but the weather is not cooperating.  i might still be able to do it but it won't be until after 5pm if it stops raining.

my speed just isn't where i would like it to be to finish rock 'n sole with the time i would like.  thankfully it's such a fun race that maybe i won't care about missing my PR goal.

i keep wondering if it's possible to get faster as i age.  that is my desire.  it is also my desire to maybe veer away from road races next year.  i have one race per month from now until october.  an even number of 1/2's - road to trail with a road marathon to end the season.  i might also do longer distances next year.  less races with longer distances.  time will tell...


4 comments:

nwgdc said...

I'd say you can definitely get faster. Not forever, but I think a solid 7-10 year span of running will show steady improvements until age and injury may start to catch up. Stay healthy! Lapham Peak again this year?

nwgdc said...

Whoops...missed the "upcoming races" tab. See you at Devils Lake too!

nikki said...

i hope you're right! i'm going to start doing 400m repeats on thursdays instead of my normal run. or maybe i'll do that on fridays since i'll be getting out of work an hour earlier for summer hours... either way i'm going to incorporate some speed work when i never did before cuz i'm straight lazy! lol!

nikki said...

hahah! i'm glad we'll see each other again! it's been a long time. i'm really looking forward to both of those races. they're so fun!