Thursday, December 31, 2015

goodbye 2015



this year was full of amazing things and not so amazing things.  the biggest and best thing of all was i completed my first 50K which, for some odd reason, burned me out for the rest of my race season.  i mean, once i completed this race no other race seemed worth it.  it was like... finished the 50K, drops mic, and walks off stage.

i felt mildly guilty when i missed a couple of 5Ks, but really... when it was pouring rain i just didn't have the heart to go.  that would have never happened before.

i suffered a few weird overuse injuries throughout the year ending with an injury to something in my right shin in august which cut my distance as well as the quality of the distance i insisted on running. i made it through my race season but just barely.  i ran lakefront with a respectable time, but didn't finish with a time that made me happy since i was trying to BQ.  after lakefront i had to take 6-8 weeks off.

coming back from that has been a very slow process.  i'm still coming back.  it is humbling as well as incredibly challenging to have to come back starting near scratch.  my pace is so slow, and if i'm being honest... it really is disappointing.  i'm trying to embrace the suck, and take it day by day.

i don't do resolutions.  i'm sure i've said it before, but if not i'm saying it now.  i don't do resolutions.

i do have goals tho' and the big goal for 2016 is to run 2016.  do i really think that's attainable?  no, not really.  i think it's sort of crazy.  the next goal is to best my mileage from 2015.  i really did a piss poor job this year, but it couldn't be helped.  i really need to avoid injury for 2016 so that i can try to hit some sensible mileage.


let's review:

2013:  1060.58
2014:  1229.12
2015:  1029.20

yup... 2015 weakest year yet!  *cries all the tears*

ok... moving on...

from the looks of my mileage i've been plagued with a few different injuries.  such bummers.  well... onward and upward!  i expect 2016 to be better.  i have big goals for iceage and so far that's my A race for 2016.  other than that i've not got my sights set on anything else.  

tentatively this is what i'm looking at:

sweet home milwaukee 5K - 4/24 (registered)
ice age trail 50K - 5/14 (registered)
run walk wag for MADAAC 5K - 6/4
kettle 100 38m fun run - 6/11
hartfest 1/2 marathon - 6/18
schlitz park 1m - 6/25?
firecracker 4 - 7/4
dances w/ dirt 1/2 marathon or 50K - 7/9
cliffrunner 10K - 7/24
hank aaron state trail 5K - 8/6?
madison mini marathon - 8/20
strider 1/2 marathon - 8/27?
instep trail races 7m or 1/2 marathon - 9/17?
joe's run walk roll 5K - 9/24
lakefront - 10/2
mrf - 11/6

moral of the story:  2015... thanks for playing but don't let the door hit you on the way out.  2016... come to mama!  happy to see your shiny bright face.

4 comments:

Josh said...

YESSSSS... you put the Schlitz Park Miler on your (tentative) schedule!!! That aside, there may be a couple others on your schedule I might be running, too. I also see a few more 5Ks than I expected. I figured you for more and more longer and longer races. Of course, I do see those on there! Ambitious schedule and goals... you got this. Looks like a fun and productive year!

nikki said...

i'm doing the schlitz park miler because of you. lol! you can be my rabbit for that one. :)

i have to run shorter distances to get faster and faster is always my goal. i love distance tho' so i need to do that to keep my heart happy. i hate 5Ks... not gonna lie. i want to be a well rounded runner so i feel like i need to maybe do some shorter distances to pepper my schedule, but have my focus races be a selected couple big ones. i haven't quite decided what my fall race will be yet. i'm leaning towards MRF instead of lakefront this year. i was also entertaining the idea of running the chicago marathon. i just don't know. i really want to BQ i just don't quite know how to get there.

Sun said...

Looks like a great line-up for 2016! It's great seeing your running posts on Facebook and Instagram again - fingers crossed everything stays healthy this upcoming year :)

nikki said...

thanks sun! i'm really glad to be back running. isn't it crazy how it feels like a part of you is missing when you can't run?!? looks like you're having an excellent winter!