Monday, July 28, 2014

if it's not this it's that

on the saturday after DWD (ONE WEEK after) i ran 12 miles at a pretty good clip like an idiot, and then on sunday my right hip down to my right knee started to feel a little weird.  i'm assuming it's my IT band.

saturday's long run ~ one week after DWD
it didn't hurt or anything... just felt a little weird.  my right knee felt wonky going up and down stairs after that like it might give out on me.  again... it didn't hurt... it just felt weak.

i decided to ignore it and run anyway.  i followed that 12 miles with my normal training schedule and each day my leg didn't feel so good but since it didn't actually hurt i just didn't stop running.

by wednesday of last week it it was pretty awful.  still not painful but very uncomfortable.  i ran 15 miles with my friend debbie and after that run decided i would rest an extra day before my next long run on saturday.  then when saturday came... i decided that since the knee was still feeling weak i would rest the saturday and the sunday.

it is now monday and i'm not running until after i see my PT tomorrow and he's had a chance to assess what i've done.

*sigh*

i'm hoping that with some intense deep tissue massage i will be back on track and can run on wednesday.  that will mark an entire week of not running.  i'm kinda hoping that it's long enough.

this is what i've got coming up:

madison 1/2 marathon = 19 days
striders 1/2 marathon = 26 days
instep trail 1/2 marathon = 40 days
north face trail 5K = 48 days
beat the blerch 10K = 54 days
milwaukee lakefront marathon = 69 days
milwaukee beer run 5K = 97 days

3 comments:

nwgdc said...

Hang in there! After a more-than-you-would-ever-want type of absence from running, it's always easy to jump back in and start plugging away at the miles. A little down time with some non-weight-bearing cross training won't hurt anything. If the big goal is Lakefront, then get healthy now and focus on training when your body's ready. 2 months is a good chunk of time to prepare. Obviously, 3 months is better, but stay fit and get healthy! I'm pulling for ya!

nikki said...

i know. i'm just super antsy and feel so lazy! i'm going to yoga tonight so that should help. i'm interested to hear what my PT has to say. i hope this is an easy fix.

Sun said...

Wow, that is a great race schedule for the upcoming months :) Hopefully the extra rest days + the massage are just the thing for your knee to have healed up so you can run again later this week. I think you were smart to take a few extra days off!