Sunday, March 30, 2014

at it again!

i lost my job last week friday (3/21) so i've been sitting around eating bon bons and watching tons of reality television.  um, ok... not really.  i have, however, had a lot of time to apply for more jobs than you can shake a stick at and to work up the nerve to lace up my running shoes and get on the road.

on monday and wednesday i had appointments with venske (if you need a chiropractor and you live in lake country THIS IS THE GUY!) and he basically told me to shit or get off the pot.  he made a very good point that i have to run sometime and my fear isn't going to help me any because without running i have no way of knowing if anything is better or not.  so... friday i ran.  it went surprisingly and pleasingly well!  unfortunately, my shin splint reared it's ugly little angry head but otherwise the run was short but a huge success!  so successful, in fact, i decided to repeat it
today.  




first, i taped my shin based on some information i found on the internets which proved to be most helpful.  no pain in the shin at all when running which was amazing and quite surprising if i do say so myself.  so surprising that i made a little video telling y'all what i did so that you too can see if you can run pain free by trying this taping method.  one problem solved.
 

 unfortunately, my calf wasn't so cooperative.  it felt weird from the start.  not exactly painful but not good either.  sort of wonky and icky but not hurty.  about 1/2 a mile in part of my foot went numb but it went away pretty quickly.  i'm hoping that whatever is "stuck" in my body will loosen up and go back to normal.  i may have to invest in the chiropractor long term and without insurance that's going to be a bear.  someone else mentioned that i may want to look into different shoes.  i'm not sure that's necessary considering this issue is very new and i've been running in these shoes for years.  i think this issue with my sciatic nerve is a symptom of something else entirely.  what that something else is though... i have no idea.  the good news is that i'm running again so there's that.  

2 comments:

mkerungirl said...

Glad to hear you got out for a few miles! It's hard to say if it's shoe related or not - might not hurt to stop by Performance Running Outfitters though and try out some other styles. I recently read that switching up the types of shoes you wear throughout the week can help prevent injury. It makes sense to me - lightweight trainers on speed days and maybe something with a bit more cushioning for recovery days. :)

nikki said...

that's a great idea Sun... to consult Performance Running Outfitters. i've been meaning to get there. i think it's a matter of time will tell with this weirdness.