Monday, March 17, 2014

scrambling and hearbroken

so i've been scrambling and contacting the various race directors of some upcoming races i have to see if i can defer my entries to next year considering that i can't run.  i see my traditional doc today for my yearly check up where i plan to talk to him about the sciatica and the torn shin muscle.  i'm pretty sure he will shake his head at me as he's done hundreds of times before (first with roller derby, then with rock climbing, and now with running) because i go hard and have such a high threshold for pain that i ignore things that i probably shouldn't ignore.  *sigh*


story of my life.


i'm so sad and relieved to report (although this is a good thing) that i've managed to defer my upcoming saturday race to a race in next year's series.  the race director was gracious enough to allow me to do this and i am so thankful!  there is no way that i could successfully run a race this coming saturday without setting my healing back weeks and weeks!  i'm still having pain after running only a mile! 


since my second acupuncture appointment i don't have any idea how the numbness is since i won't do a test run to find out.  i really shouldn't be running at all and since i want to be able to run when we go to florida next month... i need all the healing i can get.


this marks 3 races i've dropped out of because of this injury.  i know that it's for the best and that it is paramount to my healing but it doesn't make me feel any better about missing them.  i was so looking forward to my training and my racing this summer.  i felt really great about how my training was going this winter... slow and steady and then THIS happens. 


i hope my doc has good news for me.  my friend kellie keeps telling me that the sciatica is a symptom and not the problem... so i hope that she's right and we can figure out what the problem is and remedy it so i can go back to running sooner than later.

4 comments:

mkerungirl said...

I hope you're able to get to the root of the injury! As hard as it is to take a break from running, I think you're being smart to defer your spring races and try get the problem taken care of. As a little inspiration, here's this article about Sally Kipyego, last weekend's NYC Half winner: http://www.runnersworld.com/elite-runners/a-complete-break

She took a break and came back strong and you will, too! :)

nikki said...

that is such a great story! thank you so much for sharing it with me. i have been really down about all of this. i appreciate the kind words of encouragement.

Josh said...

Well, this isn't cool. A break can be a good thing, right? I keep hearing that even while you're training, rest is just as vital to improvement as pushing yourself is. I'd imagine it'd be the same in this case. You'll come back stronger!

nikki said...

I'm hoping so!