Sunday, March 2, 2014

it's been a WHOLE week and i didn't DIE!

it's been a whole week since i last ran and look at that... i'm not dead.

we did sign back up for the Y.M.C.A. since i can't run.  i won't be able to lift my arms tomorrow and i probably won't be able to bend over or stand up or walk up or down stairs.  i might not be able to move really but it is totally worth it!  i LOVE the squat machine!  i love any machine that makes it easy for me to work out in a shorter amount of time... that means i need weights.

3 sets of 15 reps on everything and i'm golden.

i will have the best ass in town in a couple of weeks and abs for days.  we'll see tho'... i'm going to be ripped!  mostly tho' i just want to have my body be strong so that i don't keep getting injured when i'm running.

i'm thinking i'm looking at another week of no running.

next week i'm going to try a short run and if it's pain free i'll start up again.  i've got the "luck of the irish" 10K  in just under 3 weeks.  i'm running it so i just hope i'm pain free by then.  i'm running it either way.  to compound my stubborn issues... i've got my very first marathon ever just 2 weeks after that 10K.  i feel like i should be more nervous that i am.  i don't usually get nervous about races.  i attribute this to the fact that i'm generally racing against my self... against my last time.  i don't really care (too much) about what other people are doing in the race so i don't really get all that worked up about it.  i mean... of course i want to do well and i want to do better than others thereby placing high in my age group but so far i am doing well in my age group so i feel pretty confident when going into races.  i haven't had any reason to feel nervous yet.  even when injured i've still placed high in my age group.  i feel confident that i can continue to attain my goals which are to get faster and finish in faster times than i've previously finished in.

i think that in order to do this i need to get stronger.  so there is a compound goal.  get stronger.  get faster. win.

easy peasey lemon squeezy.

now i just have to be able to run...

2 comments:

Sun said...

I'm so excited to hear you joined the YMCA :) Getting stronger is definitely a great way to ward off injuries. Have you tried any of the classes yet? Not sure what your Y offers, but some of them are pretty great!

I'll also be at Luck of the Irish so perhaps we can finally meet in person!

nikki said...

I'm out at the Pabst Farms Y... I've been a member before. They have all sorts of classes but I've not gotten around to any classes yet. I prefer weight training, cardio on one of the bikes because I'm usually there with my husband and son and we work out together. hopefully we'll see each other at the next race! we can get a picture to capture the moment!